Friday, October 12, 2012

Meen-a-curry...Fish with curry leaves






I simply love the flavor of curry leaves. Be it in sambar or as seasoning in the fried potatoes. But the problem is I have a big anti-curry patta member in my family. So I can't use it very often or experiment with it as I like to do. This time I was planning to make something different with fish. I was totally in dark what to do. I was not eager to make anything elaborate with thick buttery gravy or even not ready to make regular Bengali stuff like jhol or jhal.
Suddenly dimak ki batti jali and I thought of using curry leaves to cook the fish. It is a very simple dish with very few ingredients. The good thing it is finger-licking good in spite of such few ingredients, and I give the sole credit to my obedient ingredient curry leaves.

Things needed to make Meen-a-curry (fish with curry leaves):


Fish: 5-6 pcs
Curry leaves: 12-15
Fenugreek seeds/Methi dana: 1tsp
Dry red chilies: 6-7
Garlic (minced): 2tsp
Tomato (chopped): 1large
Turmeric powder: 1tsp
Red chili powder: 2-3tsp
Jaggery/brown sugar: 1tsp
Oil (preferable mustard oil)
Salt to taste

Steps of making Meen-a-curry(fish with curry leaves):


1. Clean and wash the fish pieces and smear with turmeric powder and salt. Keep aside for 30min. I used tilapis fish. You can use any other fishes or prawns for this dish.

2. In a pan or kadai add oil. I used mustard oil, as it brings extra flavor to the dish. When the oil is hot fry the fish pieces well and keep aside.

3. In the same oil add curry leaves, fenugreek seeds, dry red chilies. Cook till you get a nice aroma of curry leaves. Fenugreek seeds give a nice flavor but it taste bitter, so if you like you can take the seeds out after it changes the color. But I just kept the seeds in, just was a bit careful while eating not chew those little bitterly seeds.


4. Add the garlic and cook on medium heat for 2min. Add the chopped tomatoes. Sprinkle salt and put the lid on. Cook on medium heat till the tomatoes are done.

5. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder and mix well. I added 3teaspoons of red chili powder as I like my fish to be spicy hot. You can always adjust the amount of chili depending on your taste preference.

6. Cook till oil separates. Add the jaggery or brown sugar or normal sugar, what ever you are using. Mix well. Add 1/4cup water and let it boil. As the gravy boils add the fried fishes and reduce the heat and cover. Cook for 10-12min, turn the fish in between. Check seasoning and adjust accordingly. Serve with steaming hot rice.

If you like get regular updates from me go to my Facebook page and click on the Like button. You can also follow my blog on NetworkBlogs. Thank you..!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. I have tried it and came out very tasty. I used tilapia fillets though and kept the pieces slight big. Everyone in my family loved the dish. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete